Tuesday 3 March 2009

Backlog 4: Mama, I don't think I want to work on sound

Just to start things off, I don't actually call my mum, girlfriend (ew) or anyone else 'Mama' but thought it would make for a nice, mildly amusing title.

Today, my group and I filmed our Narratives assessed piece which was a response to the program Extras. Having not yet worked on sound I put myself forward for the role which will act as the focus of my mumblings. The boom pole with the mic on isn't very heavy if you were to pick it up right now. If you were to hold it for the best part of 6 hours, your opinions may change. I have to say I've a new found respect for sound recordists (is that a real term??) because it was one of the toughest production roles I've had so far. As well as the achey nature of holding it up for a while at a time, you also have to ensure that you are safe with the thing. On more than one occasion today I found myself bumping into crew and very nearly cast, especially in the long-shot takes in which I had to extend the pole. You also have to multi-task as you keep an eye on sound levels whilst following the script to be able to twist the mic to the correct direction with increasingly shaky arms.

In spite of our camera operator turning up an hour late, the shoot went well, the cast were on form and we wrapped in time to return the equipment to a human as opposed to a close door.

No comments: